Carol Welsh, Co-Chair, Rena Kovach- Happy Hour Chair
Amanda Sutton, Co-Chair
Committee Mission Statement: The West Market Community Association (WMCA) Activities
Committee plans events to foster neighborhood camaraderie with goals of inclusion, creativity, and fun!
List of Priorities and Deliverables for 2018-19:
Outline of Events for 2018-19:
- Submit an outline of events for 2018-19 to WMCA Board
- Adhere to budgeted resources
- Continue popular events from previous years
- Consider and evaluate new events
- Maintain the high standards for event production set by the past committees
- Establish an event evaluation system
- Oktoberfest October
- Children's Halloween October
- Adult Holiday Party December
- Children's Spring Egg Hunt April
- Spring Yard Sale May/June
- Summer Block Party July
- End of Summer Movie Night August/September
- Fall Yard Sale September
- 2nd Saturday Coffee & Donuts Quarterly
- Monthly Happy Hours (Rena) Monthly
All committee actions are subject to Board approval pursuant to Article X of the Association Bylaws. Committees are also bound by the open meeting provisions of the Virginia Property Owners’ Association Act, which requires that:
1. All committee meetings shall be preceded by reasonable notice to the community. The Board requires that its committees provide notice on the West Market Web site: at least one week is preferred absent extenuating circumstances (more if the committee is able to do so), and in all events no less than three days in advance of such meetings. Notice should be provided to our on-site manager who will ensure it is properly posted.
2. All committee meetings shall be open to all members of the West Market Community Association, and each meeting shall have a designated period of time available for members to comment on matters germane to the committee meeting.
3. Any agenda materials made available to committee members in advance of meetings should also be available for inspection by members of our community (at the same time they are provided to committee members) by providing copies to our on-site manager (in addition to making them available at the meeting).
4. Committees, per the language of the Act quoted here, may “not use work sessions or other informal gatherings . . . to circumvent the open meeting requirements.”